Reasons for becoming a member
- Members are the first to know about our events which gives them the opportunity to buy tickets early before they are sold out. Even if we are near sell out, members can get in touch with us and ask us to hold tickets for them up to a certain period. Non-members do not have this privilege, which means they could miss out on a show or event.
- *Scholarly Members get huge discounts (from 10%) on all our products and services as well as other scholarly privileges.
- Private events for members only.
- Opportunity to attend V.I.P. areas.
- Opportunity to have a special audience with guest speakers.
- Connect with other members of the Seereer community.
- Have your say in how the SRC is run and help us preserve Seereer heritage.
Register for membership
Remember that it is never too late to find out more about your Seereer heritage. If you can't find what you are looking for, simply ask! The SRC is your Resource Centre. If you have comments or suggestions about how we can improve the Website or want to recommend services and resources we can add to the Website, please contact us via our contact page. We always welcome comments and suggestions.
What you can do
- Donate Seereer related books, documents, videos, audios, objects and images to help us increase the SRC Collection. We value everything that helps contribute towards understanding Seereer history, theology and cultural heritage. Even if you think your property is not valuable enough, you would be surprised how valuable little things help towards understanding and documenting this culture and how it fits into the wider scope of things.
- Promote our Website and our Teach Yourself Seereer Language Courses to your friends and network.
- Like and share our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter.
- Do you personally know any Seereer celebrity who would make an excellent guest speaker on one of our events? Can you arrange a contact?
- Can you read and write in French, Seereer Siin, Saafi-Saafi, Ndut, Sili-Sili, Noon or Laalaa? If you can read and write in any of these languages up to an advance standard, then please help us translate our Website into any of these languages.
- Are you good at writing scholarly papers? If you can write articles on any Seereer subject e.g. history, culture or theology using inline citations for every claim that you make with reliable and verifiable sources, then help us increase our article bank by writing for us. Articles will be reviewed before they are published on our Website. You can write in any language (preferably those listed above), but please avoid copyright infringement. See our guidelines before submitting any scholarly article.
- Do you live in a Seereer city, town or village or in an area with a significantly high Seereer community? If you do, how about being our weekly cultural reporter in your area? You will video the events and write a non-scholarly article about it so that other members of the Seereer community who live in different parts of the world can know what's going on in your area.
- Do you live in the United Kingdom, the USA, France, Italy, etc, with a large Seereer and/or Senegambian community? If yes, liaise with us and be our contact and event organiser in your area. If you have great event organisation skills and experience, wonderful, if not, don't worry we will not leave you on your own but will support you every step of the way.
- Are you a professional researcher or an aspiring one, based in Senegal especially in the Siin - Saluum area, the Gambia especially in the Niumi area, or in Mauritania with a large Seereer community? If you are, you can help us increase our genealogical archive by arranging one-to-one interviews with Seereer elders about their family history, pedigree, the origin of their surnames, etc. We will provide you with all the help and resources you need e.g. training, genealogy sheets, audio and/or video recorder.
- Are you a journalist with a team of professional journalists and researchers? If yes, would you be able to help us launch an online newspaper and radio station that serves the Seereer community throughout the Diaspora? If you can, we would love to hear from you.
- Are you a professional audio and video typist who can speak English/French and any of the Seereer languages? If so, can you help us translate and transcribe our audios and videos into text in these languages?
- Do you know of any up and coming Seereer event in your local area? If yes, tell us about it via our Seereer Calendar.
- Do you know of any resource(s) we do not have that you believe will make an excellent addition to our list of resources? If yes, please tell us about it.
- Help us expand the Seereer Library database by scouring bookshops, libraries and/or the internet for Seereer related resources that we do not have on the database. For books and scholarly papers, note down the author's name, title of the book/paper, publisher, edition and year, as well as the category or categories it should be under (e.g. Seereer history, religion, culture, literature, etc.). E-mail us your list in Word Document for inclusion in the Library. If there are full publications available online, please include the URL. If there are only few pages devoted to Seereer issues, note down the page numbers. If you are in possession of a Seereer related audio or video and would like to donate a copy to us, please e-mail it to us by attachment. Tell us a bit about the audio/video. For example: Who is the narrator? A bit of information about the narrator (e.g. their background). What date or year was it recorded? Where was it recorded (e.g. TV or radio station)? Who is/are the interviewer(s)? What is the topic about? Any additional information you think would be important to help someone who may not be familiar with the subject. For help, please contact us
- Help us raise funds by holding an event for us. Do you have an event idea? Run it pass us and we will see whether it is viable.
- You can request to be a financial backer provided you meet our criteria. Please see Terms and Conditions or write to us for details. In general, we welcome all donations as long as they are not religious or politically driven.